Friday, February 20, 2009

First Week in Moscow


So this is it.  This is the view from my first apartment in Moskva (Moscow).  I'm in a southeastern part of the city.  It's called the suburbs, but I can't tell where the city ends and my area begins.  It's all busy, huge, alive, and very Russian.

So those buildings are apartments across the way, but those are a bit nicer than my building.  I'll have to post a pic of this complex soon, but you might be able to get a mental picture of my building if you pictured a building 1/4 that size, 30 years older, and recently refurbished (on the outside at least).  I'm living in a room that costs about $500 a month to rent in the most expensive city for foreigners in the world (three years running, actually).  My room is tiny, but thankfully the bed extends on both sides, so I fit.

I'll be moving at the end of this week, sometime around March 1st, to a new apartment in the northwestern suburbs.  Apparently that place has a bit less (!?!) green than here, and it's busier in general.  I've been over to that area for some lessons, but I'm not able to capture any general characteristics of the neighborhood in just a few words.  It's too big.  I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Here's my desk;  I iron here every day... yay.


And here's the meal that I made for myself tonight:  fried potatoes (I'm remembering how to peel them), onion, garlic, sausage, and egg.  It sounds more like breakfast, but it's what I felt like on the way home.

I've been working some funny hours.  My earliest lessons start at 8 AM and it takes about an hour and half to get to most places.  I get up early enough to shower, iron, shave, and dress (yep, in that order).  Today, I woke up, worked all morning, had some meetings and a Russian lesson at my office in the afternoon, traveled to a lesson in the evening, but all without eating.  So my mutant breakfast-dinner did the trick.